Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Stolen
by Lucy Christopher
Pages: 301
Release Date: May 4th 2009
Publisher: Chicken House
Buy the Book: Amazon



Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.


My Thoughts
Stolen was one of those books that got me reading from the very first page. Scratch that. From the very first sentence. It was just that good. And the entire book? Remarkable. Just remarkable. I loved it!

Stolen is written in the form of a letter. So, it's in second person. And I really liked that. One of the reasons why it's simply amazing. It gave a more strong connection and I loved how it was written. Complicated? Yes. But, amazing.

Gemma is strong. She hangs in their you know. Ty, her captor, thinks that he can just kidnap a random girl just because he ‘loves’ her. How ridiculous. Gemma is scared and alone and I totally sympathised with her throughout the entire book. She never gave up, always trying to escape in one way or another just hoping and yearning for freedom. Just gotta love that realism.

As the book went on however, I started to like Ty. I don’t know why. Probably because he’s kind, caring and not aggressive in any way whatsoever. I had this little part of me that wished Gemma would gradually like Ty too. See what this book does! It makes you bewildered in such an amzingly weird way.Ty's and Gemma's relationship is just complex and powerful.

That's another thing. You won't know what to feel. Wrong or right. Yes and No. And the ending is something else entirely. I don't know whether I sould be happy or sad. But I truly believe one thing, Ty and Gemma have a connection.

Very profound and intense, there's no doubt that I loved this book. It had me intriguied, alarmed and amazed. Stolen will whisk you off your feet making it an unforgettable fall.

18 comments:

  1. This book sounds incredible. It really twists the sterotypical kidnapper! I am interested to read Flyaway too... she sounds like a great author. Good review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now I want to read this one... I should stop reading reviews of books that are not already in my Wish List, because I always end up loving the idea of the book, and my list gets bigger... :x
    Anyway, amazing review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book so much when I first read it, I really need to read it again!

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really want to read this one! I havent got round to getting it though and that cover *shudders* I hate butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. adding this to my "need to read" list effective immediately

    ReplyDelete
  6. We keep hearing good things about this book. We think your comments about Ty show that the author has achieved something remarkable with her story: she's given readers an insight into Stockholm syndrome. Creepy, but effective. It proves that these things can and do happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Stolen! This is one of my favorite YA books. :) Glad to hear that you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted this one for ages but kind of forgot about it.

    *adds to Amazon wishlist before it's forgotten again*

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever read anything like this. Plus I didn't know it was written in the form of a letter! That makes it even more unique.
    It sounds very good!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know this book was written in the form of a letter. The plot sounds really interesting and I enjoyed your review and am glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love this book. I borrowed it for my library adn had to go buy myself a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aneta Mišíková10 August 2011 at 18:13

    I ordered this book one week ago from bookdepo :D somewhere i was able to read first pages and i fell in love with the first sentence! "You saw me before i saw you." Sounds intriguing right?! i want to read it, like, NOW :) guess i have to wait few more days...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your review of this book. This is one of those books that I would look at the cover and think "No, this looks boring." You have definitely encouraged me to read it.
    -Carly Waid

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keep hearing wonderful things about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow if the book could capture you from the first lines that's great :D This book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I kind of wish there was like an extra chapter explaining more of the ending. This book haunts you and it makes you feel weird for sympathizing with Ty. (shakes head) I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was sceptical about reading this one! But your reveiw makes me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your review looks great, wasn't sure if I would enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them all :)

Please do not leave any personal information, such as your email address as they will be deleted immediately.

Happy Reading!