How to Ruin a Summer Vacation by Simone Elkeles

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation
by Simone Elkeles

Pages: 234
Release Date: October 1st 2006
Publisher: Flux
Buy the Book: Amazon


Moshav? What’s a moshav? Is it “shopping mall” in Hebrew? I mean, from what Jessica was telling me, Israeli stores have the latest fashions from Europe. That black dress Jessica has is really awesome. I know I’d be selling out if I go with the Sperm Donor to a mall, but I keep thinking about all the great stuff I could bring back home.
 Unfortunately for 16-year-old Amy Nelson, “moshav” is not Hebrew for “shopping mall.” Not even close. Think goats, not Gucci.
Going to Israel with her estranged Israeli father is the last thing Amy wants to do this summer. She’s got a serious grudge against her dad, a.k.a. “Sperm Donor,” for showing up so rarely in her life. Now he’s dragging her to a war zone to meet a family she’s never known, where she’ll probably be drafted into the army. At the very least, she’ll be stuck in a house with no AC and only one bathroom for seven people all summer—no best friend, no boyfriend, no shopping, no cell phone…
Goodbye pride—hello Israel.


My Thoughts
Let me start off by saying... Don't get put off by the blurb! Because, I sure was. I guess it's cause of the whole 'israil' thing. Seeing as what's being going on these days regarding Israel, I think I was bound to get put off

So then, after a week or two, I finally picked up the book. And hey! Guess what? I liked it, like I really really liked it. I should have known after reading Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction that this would have the same effect as I had with the others

Amy is a character I can relate to. With a bubbly, sarky attitude, she's one hell of a character. It's funny how she sees Israel from her eyes and well the guys of course.

Any has a boyfriend? So? It doesn't stop her from eying up other guys. Usually, this would be a major problem for me but seeing as the boyfriend himself is a bit 'wayward' shall I say, It doesn't really matter.

Back to Amy and her 'eyes' she really does feel some chemistry with someone in particular, And let's just say things get pretty hot and steamy if you know what I mean ;D

I have to applaud Elkeles! Seriously with the unique names like 'O'snot'... I just can't help to LOL every time she's mentioned.

I really want to read How to ruin my teenage life! But unfortunately it's not in any of the libraries in the city... probably because it's US only edition :(      

15 comments:

  1. I've had this one on my shelf for a while but just haven't gotten to it yet. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want this series! I think I'll have to buy it from amazon in my next haul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad you liked it! I love the Perfect Chemistry series but was disappointed in the Paradise series - so I'm trying these ones next - hoping they live up to Alex and Brittany lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'll admit, I was a bit turned off by the blurb... guilty! but come on... its Simone Elkeles! that woman is a genius, plus your review is cute :) will definitely have to check it out!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this author. The perfect chemistry series is awesome. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read this as well, I liked it but don't think I'll be reading the rest of the series!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles and I really like that series. I think that she is amazing author. But I haven't read this book by her and it doesn't sound so captivating for me. Thank you for awesome review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a light hearted read. Good for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to read this series of Elkeles. LOVED the two Perfect Chemistry books and can't wait for the third "Chain Reaction". You can find reviews for them on my blog http://bookthatthing.blogspot.com
    Check them out if you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore Simone Elkeles, but this is one series I haven't read. Well, the only series by here I haven't read. LOL I promise now that I will. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. This doesn't exactly catch my attention at first. I'm sure this is a great read.
    -Carly Waid

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like it could be a hidden gem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Simmone Elkeles and I this is the last book series of hers that I need to read :) I think I'm going to like it once I start it too lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the review! The title caught my eye, but after reading the blurb I wasn't really interested anymore. Your review was good though, so I think I'll read the book now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cover looks cool, I think I saw this on Goodreads-probably will mark it as a to-read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them all :)

Please do not leave any personal information, such as your email address as they will be deleted immediately.

Happy Reading!