The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins

Pages:374
Release Date: October 1st 2008

Publisher: Scholastic
Series: The Hunger Games trilogy
Other books in series: Catching Fire and Mocking Jay

Buy it: AmazonAdd it: Goodreads


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.


My Thoughts
At first when I heard about The Hunger Games, I didn’t think that it would be a book that I would be interested in. I usually read books that dominantly revolve around romance. However, as I started reading the first few pages in the book, I instantly got absorbed into Katniss's world.

I absolutely love Katniss's character. The love for her sister Prim is beautifully conveyed as she takes her place in The Hunger Games. Katniss is brave, strong and a definite kick ass heroine.

I got really drawn to Gale's personality, his character and well everything about him. His relationship with Katniss is affectionate but not deep really showing how strong their friendship is. I remember really wanting his name to be picked out for the Hunger games so he can support Katniss. Though they're friends, I always thought it would eventually grow into something else and boy was I wrong.

From the time Katniss mentioned Peeta I should have know really (especially with the 'bread incident') that something or the other will happen between them. I was quite dismayed knowing Gale was out the picture but from the time his name was picked for The Hunger Games and as the pages flew by, I came to the conclusion that I love Peeta. He's funny, supportive and always there for Katniss.

I an not a big fan for action as most of their time it is boring but this type of action is nothing but interesting and mind blowing. The ending is very dramatic as Peeta comes to know Katniss's true feeling leaving her back home with her family.

This book is not something you read once or simply pick up from the library, it's a book that has gotta be on your bookshelf! The Hunger Games is written to perfection. Seriously, I don't believe there's any flaws. Immensely powerful and utterly consuming, this is a book that will definitely get you reading!

27 comments:

  1. -I want to read this book! Everybody is saying how good it is and there are movie updates everywhere! I feel lost because I don't really know who Katniss or Peeta are. :P
    Great review! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Hunger Games trilogy! It was fantastic! So glad you enjoyed it too. We can look forward to the movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody´s talking about it .... guess they got me :D planning to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! At first when I heard about The Hunger Games, I didn’t think that it would be a book that I would be interested in. Me too! I thought it sounded like a "non-fat" retelling of Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. I received a box set of the trilogy in hardcover as a giveaway, though, so read the first book and ended up enjoying it quite a bit - I haven't yet read Catching Fire or Mockingjay but I definitely will.... who to root for, though, Peeta or Gale? It's a tough one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this so much. I have Mockingjay still to read, mainly because I don't want it to end! Great review as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this whole series although I actually felt it got weaker as it went along.
    Thanks for the good review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!I wasn't sure about reading this book before reading this book but now its really got me thinking about getting it.Even I usually tend to go for books having more romance and less action but this book seems like a keeper.

    Janhvi
    justjanhvi at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book. Out of all the series books, this is hands down my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Hunger Games so much! I cannot wait till the movie comes out, hopefully it lives up to the books!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I read it for the first time I was surprised how amazing this book is, when i read it for the second time I was saying to myself that it isn´t possible to be so great and when I read it next time I love it even more xD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love this book. I am really happy that I have all books in this series on my bookshelf. And I love Peeta too. He is really great protagonist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh i'm still trying to convince myself to read it, i'm an action type girl, so there will be no problem, but sill i'm a little afraid of it..
    Everyone keeps saying how good it is, so i guess it's time to start it..
    Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had The Hunger Games on my shelf for quite some time. To be honest, I'm the kind of girl who, once a book becomes obsessed by the raging population, will be disgusted with it whether i read it or not (did that with Twilight) but i'm deciding to give the Hunger Games a chance. And since you liked it, you should check out Battle Royale ( Check out my review if you'd like) it has a similar concept to The Hunger Games :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Hunger Games is one of the best series I've ever read. I swear I couldn't put any of them down and I'm dying to see the movie. To all you who haven't read it yet, do it, you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don´t read this book yet. But I have got Hunger games and I think - this is a very good series. I can not wait to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is THE book that got me into dystopia novels and will always be a favourite! (:

    ReplyDelete
  17. i lovelovelovelovelovelovelove peeta in the books it's like he loves katniss all this time and thy go into the arena knowing only one can make itout and peeta was going to risk his life making sure katniss lives, but it bothers me so much that katniss doesnt see what a great and amazing guy he really is. love the reviewww !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hell YEAH!!! Hunger Games rules!!!
    I LOVEEEEEEEE this books!! Katniss can seriously kick butts!! I saw on GR that this was one of the most read book ever! that definitely draw me to read it!
    - Gale, "I remember really wanting his name to be picked out for the Hunger games so he can support Katniss" ME TOO!! when i was reading it my mind said "Gale" when Effie was doing the random picking!! but then Peeta? I was like "Wait WHAT? Who is he?"
    The incident with the bread... I almost cried! I felt the weakness of Katniss, and when Peeta help her, was so sweet!! Since the first book I am Team Peeta!!
    Definitely Suzanne Collins is one of the most incredible authors ever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suzanne Collins is an AMAZING writer. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to get HG popular (only took a movie and casting drama to do so). This book was phenomenal, end of story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is on the "hot" list right now, but I just can't bring myself to read. I have heard nothing but good things about it, but it just doesn't look interesting to me!
    -Carly Waid

    ReplyDelete
  21. I keep having this one recommended to me. But I have yet to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes I totally agree with you. I knew then and there I had to buy the book so I could read it over again :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always heard really amazing things about the hunger games but never really got around to picking it up, I certainly will now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I gave this book a wide burgh for a long tie because I also didn't think it would be something I would read (this was back in my naive one genre reading days) I am so glad that I did read it. It was in a word AMAZING! and opened me up to a new genre, now I don't look back!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This series has just take my breath.

    I thought that book like this is nothing for me, but like you, I fell for it very quickly.

    I love the relationship between Katniss and Peeta, how it took some time and she realized, that she actually like him.

    Oh and the action, that was so good, that I couldn't stop read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. t took me a while to get to this book because I never saw it out of my two daughters' hands. They devoured it! Once I read it, I understood. This is the second book I have reviewed this month that had a powerful female protagonist (other being 'Graceling').

    I found the book to be well written with a fantastic pacing. Their is violence in there, but not so over the top as to be distracting. Intimate scenes are sparingly written so as not to be too embarassing (something I greatly appreciated as a dad!!) The rage against the system theme is prevalent enough to notice, but not as overbearing as say.... Ayn Rand or Terry Pratchett.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i absolutely adore this book series! i feel like its deffinately a series that i can read over and over again and never get bored of! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I do read every comment and appreciate them all :)

Please do not leave any personal information, such as your email address as they will be deleted immediately.

Happy Reading!